Export-import trade is one of the easiest businesses to set up with little more than a telephone and a computer. It is also one of the few areas in business where you can accumulate riches without specialized knowledge that takes several years to acquire. You can get started with little or no money, part-time or full time. You can also do it from anywhere in the world.
A small number of US manufacturers distribute their goods overseas.Even though they would like to sell their goods/services in many countries, they donot have the resources to go beyond a few lucrative markets.You can goods for resale or become an agent (matchmaker):Manufacturers of domestic goods seek foreign distribution; foreign manufacturers want a United States market. You need to find them, make a solid connection, and establish a business relationship with these companies. The market is unlimited since there are thousands of goods and services to sell or buy.
What are the things you need as you begin to organize your business:
- Start from your home with a telephone, a file system and business cards,
- A professional letterhead,
- Initiate business contacts. Some businesses started with mailing hunderds of letters requesting the names/addresses of appropriate firms to contact. Ask them to publish at their bulletin boards etc.
- Once you get the names, you can introduce yourself, ask info on the firm, request samples from manufacturers. If they are potential importers, you can request the kind of products they would like to buy from overseas
- Analyze the market
- Once you receive an offer, sign an agreement and makle the sale. (For details, see other sections)